Instructions for Adjustment Requests
California American Water may provide an adjustment for high bills as a result of excessive water use for the following scenarios:
- Leak at Property: Covers leaks within (interior plumbing or appliances) and outside (service line) of the structure.
- High Use – Cause Known: Covers excessive water use for which the cause is known. As example, a family member or gardener accidently left outside hose running for an extended period of time. Other examples are a timing/cycling issue on irrigation equipment.
- High Use – Cause Unknown: Covers excessive water use for which the cause is unknown. As example, high use is experienced for a single billing period and then usage patterns return to normal. Field investigation is unable to determine the cause of higher than expected water use.
- Attach completed form to email and send to email@example.com
- Fax completed form to our customer service center at (618) 433-4569
- Complete form and mail to: California American Water, PO Box 578, Alton, IL 62002 Attn: Adjustment Request
Please allow up to 20 calendar days for processing. You will receive a confirmation or denial of the adjustment request via letter. If granted, the adjustment provided will be included with the next regular monthly bill. Customers may request a payment agreement to cover any excess charges not included in the adjustment.
While the adjustment request is being processed, it is advisable to remit payment for a normal bill amount. The open balance will not be subject to collection activity while the adjustment request is in processing.