low income program
Sometimes customers face circumstances that stretch their financial resources. California American Water is here to assist. Our customer service representatives will work with you on a plan to pay the balance of your bill over time. You may also be qualified to receive assistance through our Assistance for Low-Income Customers program.
If you cannot pay your water or wastewater bill by the due date, please contact our customer service center immediately, before the due date. Our customer service representatives are available at 888-237-1333. They will work with you on a plan to pay the balance of your bill over time.
These payment arrangements may require you to:
- Pay at least 25% of your bill within 48 hours of your call
- Pay the rest of the bill, including any applicable late payment charge, according to an agreed upon schedule, not to exceed 6 months
- Pay all future bills as they become due
- Only customers who have not broken similar agreements in the past twelve months are eligible to make these payment arrangements
Assistance for Low-Income Customers Program
At California American Water, we believe fresh, clean water is a resource that should be made available to everyone. That’s why we developed our Assistance for Low-Income Customers Program to provide assistance to low-income families.
With this program, eligible water and wastewater customers can apply for a monthly discount on their charges. If your household meets the necessary requirements, assistance will be provided in the form of a monthly discount on your water or wastewater charges.
To qualify for Assistance for Low-Income Customers Program
- You must be an individually metered or flat-rate residential customer.
- The California American Water Bill must be in your name.
- You may not be claimed as a dependent on another person’s tax return.
- You must reapply each time you change your personal residence.
- You must renew your application every two years, or sooner, if requested.
- California American Water must be notified within 30 days if you become ineligible for the Assistance for Low-Income Customers Program.
To apply to the Assistance for Low-Income Customers Program, please complete this application and mail it to the address listed at the top of the application.
For further information about the Assistance for Low-Income Customers Program or your California American Water service, please call us at 888-237-1333.