DAVENPORT, IOWA (May 7, 2019) — In recognition of the American Water Works Association (AWWA) Drinking Water Week 2019, Iowa American Water encourages customers to recognize the vital role water plays in their everyday lives, and how to protect and preserve our world’s most precious natural resource. Drinking Water Week, being observed nationwide this week from May 5 – 11, centers once again on the theme Protect the Source.
“Though we have come a long way in terms of our water treatments and services, there is still a lot of work to be done and challenges to overcome,” said Randy Moore, President, Iowa American Water. “The hardest being that water is often taken for granted. Every single day, a person turns on his or her tap to bathe; brush teeth; or get water for drinking, cooking and cleaning. And unless the person notices something unusual, water quality is never given another thought”.
Iowa American Water wants to educate its customers and communities throughout about the specific steps taken to ensure the delivery of clean water from various sources. These include:
- Nearly 1 million tests and measurements that are conducted each year at American Water’s state-of-the-art research laboratories around the country;
- The innovation of the most advanced technology, equipment and filtration processes (to date, American Water has examined more than 600 technologies and is actively pursuing a dozen partnerships to create better efficiencies); and
- Vigorous work with the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to meet/exceed water quality standards and to address emerging water contaminants so that potential quality threats are stopped in their tracks.
And as a result of the above, Iowa American Water has consistently met or exceeded compliance with federal and state drinking water standards, and has earned several awards from the EPA’s Partnership for Safe Water program.
“The key to making this successful is for our dedication to trickle down to those individuals, businesses and communities we serve,” added Moore. “Hopefully by ‘seeing’ some of what we do in action and by bringing the topic to the surface, we can achieve it.”
To advance goals to Protect the Source, Iowa American Water encourages individuals to take the following action during Drinking Water Week, then work to put that action into year-round practice.
1. Be conscious of daily water use and take the necessary steps in the home to be water smart and help preserve this precious natural resource, which can also have an impact on reducing monthly bills.
2. Be sure that leaking pipes and faucets—indoors and outdoors—are repaired.
3. Take care in the use of garden, lawn, garage and other home products, and ensure that they
do not inadvertently find their way into water sources.
Dispose of chemicals, unused medicines or other potentially harmful products properly, and do not put them directly into home drains, the sewer, street drains or the lawn.
For more information on Iowa American Water, visit www.iowaamwater.com. For more information on Drinking Water Week, visit https://www.awwa.org/Events-Education/Drinking-Water-Week.
Iowa American Water
Iowa American Water, a subsidiary of American Water (NYSE: AWK), is the largest investor-owned
water utility in the state, providing high-quality and reliable water services to approximately 212,000
people. With a history dating back to 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically
diverse U.S. publicly traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than
7,100 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater
and other related services to more than 14 million people in 46 states and Ontario, Canada. American
Water provides safe, clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to make sure we
keep their lives flowing. For more information, visit amwater.com and follow American Water on
Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.