It’s no secret that much of the water infrastructure across the country is aging and in need of repair or replacement. Our engineering and operations teams work closely with our communities to identify problem areas and put plans into action to upgrade our systems and infrastructure.
Improving system resiliency is also a major focus to help protect plants, underground systems, and other crucial infrastructure from extreme weather events, natural hazards and malevolent threats.
Across the country, we manage approximately:
- 81 surface water treatment plants
- 500 groundwater treatment plants
- 1,000 groundwater wells
- 100 wastewater treatment facilities
- 1,200 treated water storage facilities
- 1,300 pumping stations
- 89 dams and approximately 48,000 miles of mains and collection pipes
We invest more than $1 billion annually into our systems to ensure continued reliability for our customers, who count on us every day. In most of our service areas, high-quality water service still costs about or less than a penny per gallon.