Missouri American Water Makes $850,000 Investment to Upgrade Valves, Perform Other Work at Primary St. Louis Treatment Plant

Dateline City:
ST. LOUIS

ST. LOUIS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Missouri American Water is putting the finishing touches on an important project at the largest water treatment plant in St. Louis.

The company is wrapping up the replacement of two valves, adding hydrants and replacing water main at its Central Plant, serving most of St. Louis County, in Chesterfield. The project is designed to provide intra-plant redundancy and improve the efficiency with which future repairs and maintenance can be performed at the plant. The project cost $850,000 to complete over several weeks following nearly three years of planning.

“Infrastructure is more than the water mains running beneath the streets of St. Louis,” said Kurt Smith, engineer for Missouri American Water. “The work we are completing now will make it much easier for us to isolate different parts of our plant to perform needed repairs and upgrades in the future. It also will improve how efficiently we are able to pump water from our plant up the hill to our distribution mains on Olive Boulevard and along the river bottom into Maryland Heights, and from there into the rest of the county.”

The project required the planned shutdown of two of the plant’s four basins, which limited the plant’s water production capacity to roughly half its usual amount. On a typical day, the plant produces more than 60 percent of the 200 million gallons used in St. Louis County, while the other 40 percent comes from the company’s three additional St. Louis-area plants. Water from those three plants supplemented the loss.

“I’m proud of the work of those involved – including employees from our plant and from distribution – to get this work done with minimal impact to customers,” said Marty Robison, senior superintendent of operations. “We purposely planned this project for late winter, when water demand is at its lowest, and we worked with the handful of customers who would be affected by this to make sure they were aware and taken care of.”

Missouri American Water

Missouri American Water, a subsidiary of American Water (NYSE: AWK), is the largest investor-owned water utility in the state, providing high-quality and reliable water and/or wastewater services to approximately 1.5 million people.

With a history dating back to 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 7,100 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to more than 14 million people in 46 states and Ontario, Canada. American Water provides safe, clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to make sure we keep their lives flowing. For more information, visit amwater.com and follow American Water on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.

Language:
English
Contact:

Brian Russell
Communications Manager
T - 314-996-2239
C - 314-825-3578
Brian.Russell@amwater.com

Ticker Slug:
Ticker:
AWK
Exchange:
NYSE