Environmental Grant Program
Our commitment to protecting the environment runs deep and we’re proud to support the efforts of local organizations that share our vision.
Established in 2005, our annual Environmental Grant Program offers funding for innovative, community-based environmental projects that improve, restore or protect the watersheds, surface water and groundwater supplies in our local communities.
We are pleased to offer assistance to community partners to help make a positive impact on the environment, and we encourage you to apply.
To qualify for Environmental Grant funding, a proposed project must be:
- Located within an American Water service area
- Completed between May and November of the grant funding year
- Be a new or innovative community initiative, or serve as significant expansion to an existing program.
For more information, please see our 2017 Program Brochure and Grant Application Form.
In 2016, New Jersey American Water issued three grants totaling more than $24,000 to the following organizations:
- Berkeley Heights Public Schools has been awarded $4,500 to build a rain garden at Columbia Middle School with the potential to catch nearly 6,000 gallons of water in a typical rain storm. The project will also educate citizens on building their own rain gardens.
- The New Jersey Tree Foundation, Inc. will receive $10,000 to reforest schools in Plainfield. As much as 240 square feet of concrete will be replaced with approximately 30 trees, which will improve the sustainability of the Raritan Watershed. The foundation estimates the trees could filter up to 23,650 gallons of storm water in the first year of the project.
- Gibbsboro Community Garden Project has been granted $10,000 to create an organic, sustainable community garden at Pole Hill Park in the Borough of Gibbsboro. The garden will also serve as an education facility that will offer courses on chemical-free gardening to local residents, school groups and seniors.
To see the 2015 grant recipients, click here.
Entries for New Jersey should be mailed to:
New Jersey American Water
P.O. Box 102
Bound Brook, NJ 08805
Attn: Greer Thacker
For More Information Contact Greer Thacker at email@example.com