The majority of New York American Water customers live on Long Island. The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation established a goal for all Long Island water suppliers to reduce peak season water demand by 15 percent by 2021 to help ensure the long-term sustainability of Long Island's sole source aquifer. Of course, conserving our natural resources is an important practice, no matter where you live.
We believe this is so important that we’ve dedicated a section of our website to conservation tips, tools and programs. We hope you find these tools useful and that they help you save water and money!
Outdoor watering is one of the biggest culprits of high water use during the summer months. Take steps to avoid over watering:
- Skip A Day! This summer consider watering your lawn one less day per week. It can save thousands of gallons of water and lead to a healthier lawn (over watering could lead to shallow roots). If you currently water your lawn 3-4 times a week – skipping a day could save you as much as 15 to 30 percent on your usage charges.
- Set a Goal to Reduce. Reduce your usage by 2,000 gallons per month and save!
TOOLS & TECHNOLOGY
We’re offering new tools to help monitor and reduce your water usage and save you money.
- Water Use Calculator: To use less water, it’s helpful to know how much you’re using and where. Check out our online Water Use Calculator to find out! This new tool allows you to input water use information specific to your household and offers tips on where you can save water and energy based on that data.
- Indoor Water Savings Retrofit Kits: Our indoor conservation kit includes a water efficient showerhead, aerators, toilet tank bank and leak detection tabs. Our Leak Detection Guide provides tips on detecting common and not-so-common indoor and outdoor leaks. Interested? Email firstname.lastname@example.org. Let us know which kit(s) you’d like, and include your mailing address and phone number. Indoor conservation kits limited to two per household.
- Smart Irrigation Controller Incentive Program: If you used more than 15,000 gallons of water in any month during the summer of 2017 and/or 2018 (May-September), you may be eligible to receive a smart irrigation controller (valued at $230+) for just $99, plus tax. We’re offering this smart irrigation controller incentive program on a first-come, first-serve basis to help approximately 4,200 residential customers. Visit New York American Water's personalized Rachio website. For questions, email email@example.com.
COMING THIS YEAR! Stay tuned.
- Improved Customer Portal (My Account): Once live, you will be able to see monthly usage for the last three years and comparisons of your current usage to your neighborhood.
- Water Use Alerts: Usage notifications on My Account, our online self-service customer portal, allows you to take control of your water use. If your water use is high, it will give you time to reduce your use so that you can save water and money on your next bill.
- Evapotranspiration (ET) Notifications: Customer notifications will be sent via social media to use water more efficiently based on rainfall.
- Participate in our Irrigation Home Assessment for Residential Customers: Receive an Irrigation Home Assessment at no cost (limited to 100 high water use residential customers). To be eligible, you must have an automated sprinkler system and used more than 15,000 gallons of water per month during the 2018 summer months. Visit New York American Water's personalized Rachio website. For questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
In addition to managing your account, you can view up to two years’ worth of water usage data on My Account already. Understanding when you use the most water can help you identify ways to save. Not enrolled? Visit amwater.com/myaccount . Be sure to have your account number handy.