To Our North Shore Customers
New York American Water takes this matter very seriously and, as Staff acknowledged in the report, we self-reported this issue and have been very cooperative with this investigation. We are very sorry for this error, we take full responsibility, and we are currently reviewing the report so we can take additional improvement actions.
Our customers should know:
- We will ensure that every impacted customer is reimbursed for the tax error that lead to North Shore customers being charged approximately $281,000 in total toward our property tax payments
- Each customer will get approximately $65 returned via bill credit after Public Service Commission authorization.
- The company did not benefit financially
- We have addressed the internal employee matters with some employees no longer employed by the company.
- We have established a proactive 3-point plan to enhance financial and reporting controls, engage the community, and educate customers. The plan includes:
- Ensuring the proper financial and reporting controls and redundancies are enhanced to prevent any issues like this in the future. This includes additional management oversight on regulatory processes and training for staff on our commitment to transparency;
- Planning a Community Cabinet that promotes transparency, community engagement and trust; and
- Establishing a hotline and email address where impacted customers can reach New York American Water staff with questions about their bills. North Shore customers should reach out to (516) 632-2222 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are committed to rebuilding our relationship with our customers in our North Shore/Sea Cliff district, the Public Service Commission leaders and staff as well as other appropriate stakeholders. We want to continue doing what we do best – proudly delivering clean, safe and reliable water services to our valued customers.