Tennessee American Water Statement on Diesel Spill
January 9, 2018
- We responded immediately and feel confident that there is no threat to the drinking water supply.
- We were informed by emergency management personnel on Monday evening of a diesel spill on Citico Creek which is adjacent to our property. We are monitoring the situation and have been in contact with TDEC.
- Emergency management personnel shared with us that an environmental cleanup company would be cleaning the spill.
- Our monitoring and analysis of water samples yesterday did not indicate any changes related to the spill. We are also performing additional sampling while the cleanup continues.
- We have a plant operator on site 24/7 that monitors and samples at the plant at all times.
- Out of an abundance of caution, we are utilizing powdered activated carbon since yesterday evening. The carbon is a protocol recommended by TDEC for emergency readiness. The carbon helps to eliminate any probable contaminants when the water is initially drawn into the plant from the river.
# # #
ABOUT TENNESSEE AMERICAN WATER
Tennessee American Water, a subsidiary of American Water (NYSE: AWK), is the largest investor-owned water utility in the state, providing high-quality and reliable water services to approximately 390,000 people in Tennessee and northern Georgia. With a history dating back to 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly-traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 6,700 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to an estimated 15 million people in 47 states and Ontario, Canada. More information can be found by visiting www.tennesseeamwater.com.
Connect with us: Facebook.com/tnamwater ● Twitter @tnamwater
: 01/09/2018Start Time
: 10:00End Time
: 01/18/2018Contact Name
: Customer ServiceContact Phone