Environmental Grant Program
Our commitment to protecting the environment runs deep and we’re proud to support the efforts of local organizations that share our vision.
Established in 2005, our annual Environmental Grant Program offers funding for innovative, community-based environmental projects that improve, restore or protect the watersheds, surface water and groundwater supplies in our local communities.
We are pleased to offer assistance to community partners to help make a positive impact on the environment, and we encourage you to apply.
To qualify for Environmental Grant funding, a proposed project must be:
- Located within an American Water service area
- Completed between May and November of the grant funding year
- Be a new or innovative community initiative, or serve as significant expansion to an existing program.
In 2017, Virginia American Water issued four grants totaling $5,000 to the following organizations:
- Friends of the Lower Appomattox River ($1,500): Funding was provided for the organization of the River Fest and Paddle-or-Battle. River Fest engages and informs families about surface water protection through various hands-on activities.
Paddle-or-Battle is an annual kayaking event that encourages active engagement to inspire love and respect of the water.
- Friends of the Occoquan ($1,500): The organization donates rain barrels and community gardens to schools, churches, the Boys & Girls Club and Eagle Scouts. They will conduct a series of workshops in Prince William County to educate community members on the beneficial use of rain barrels for watering gardens.
- Prince William Conservation Alliance ($1,500): The organization is using the grant to develop a mobile clean water display. The mobile display will highlight clean water resources at large public gatherings, as well as promote activities that improve green infrastructure in the community.
- James River Association ($500): Funding is used to purchase lab supplies to test for E. coli in the James River from May to September.
For more information, please see our 2017 Program Brochure, and look for announcements for submitting applications for 2018 grants.