Your Water Rates
Water service rates are based on the real costs of treating and delivering water to customers and are regulated by state public utilities commissions. In West Virginia, rates are determined by the Public Service Commission of West Virginia (PSC).
To determine rates, we work with PSC staff to study costs of construction, maintenance, operation, administration and financing. Once the studies are complete, the company, PSC staff and other involved parties present their conclusions before the Public Service Commission. The Commission considers the information presented and enters an order setting water rates as it sees fit.
Rates charged for service may vary based on a customer’s meter size. All customers pay the same rate for water usage. Customers are billed based on a regular meter reading, either monthly or quarterly for residential customers as well as for commercial and other public authority customers.
Rates can vary based on the cost of providing service in each of the communities we serve. Before it reaches your home or business, water is treated through an intricate treating and testing process to help ensure it meets or surpasses rigorous drinking water quality standards.
You can learn more about the rate setting process in our white paper: Challenges In The Water Industry: The Rate Approval Process.
West Virginia American Water Rates at a Glance
Minimum charge: Minimum charges are based according to the size of each meter installed. For customers with multiple meter settings, the minimum charge will be sum of the minimum charges for each of the individual meters. The minimum charge is based on 1,500 gallons. Usage above 1,500 gallons is calculated by the rates listed below.
- 3/4 inch meter or less* - $31.44 per month
- 1 inch meter - $77.00 per month
- 1-1/2 inch meter - $152.94 per month
- 2 inch meter - $244.14 per month
- 3 inch meter - $456.87 per month
- 4 inch meter - $760.76 per month
- 6 inch meter - $1,520.52 per month
- 8 inch meter - $2,432.24 per month
*Residential customers are served through 5/8" meters.
Volumetric Charge: Based on the number of gallons used.
- First 1,500 gallons used per month at the minimum charge (based on meter size - see above)
- Next 28,500 gallons used per month - $13.9450 per 1,000 gallons
- Next 870,000 gallons used per month - $9.1680 per 1,000 gallons
- Next 8,100,000 gallons used per month - $6.6770 per 1,000 gallons
- All over 9,000,000 gallons used per month - $4.3430 per 1,000 gallons
System Improvement Charge (DSIC)
The Public Service Commission of West Virginia has authorized a Distribution System Improvement Charge (DSIC) for West Virginia American Water customers, which is a 2.54 percent surcharge on monthly bills (approximately $1.38 for the average residential customer). This charge is reflected on your bill as a separate line item called “Distribution System Improvement Charge" and funds water system improvement projects that enhance service reliability, water quality
and fire protection. The DSIC does not apply to wholesale customers under contract or
to public fire accounts.
Sewer Rates for Fayetteville Wastewater Customers
Minimum charge: $46.26
Volumetric Charge: Based on the number of gallons of water used.
- First 2,500 gallons used per month $18.5040 per 1,000 gallons
- All over 2,500 gallons used per month $15.7690 per 1,000 gallons
Water Rates for Bluefield Valley Water Works Customers
Minimum charge: $25.62 for the first 2,000 gallons (for a standard residential 5/8” meter)
Volumetric Charge: Based on the number of gallons of water used beyond the first 2,000 gallons at $8.2802 per 1,000 gallons.
View the full Bluefield Valley Water Works rate sheet here.
More Information on West Virginia American Water Rates
Download a copy of West Virginia American Water's current Water Service tariff sheet and Wastewater Service tariff sheet.