At Pennsylvania American Water, we take proactive measures today to continue to provide quality service for generations and remain a competitive employer in our local communities. We do this by offering scholarships, internships, and career outreach to help attract talented people to the water and wastewater industry. Like the convergence of three streams into one river, Pennsylvania American Water’s Career Stream Program takes a three-pronged approach.
American Water Inclusion and Diversity Scholarship Program
Through the American Water Inclusion and Diversity Scholarship Program, the company annually offers 10 renewable scholarships of $10,000 each to students residing/or attending college in one of the states where it operates, including Pennsylvania.
WHO CAN APPLY
To apply for a scholarship, individuals must:
- Self identify as a member of at least one of the following underrepresented groups:
- American Indian or Alaska Native
- Black or African American
- Hispanic or Latino
- Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander
- Female (any race or ethnicity)
- Be planning to enroll in full-time undergraduate study, pursuing a certificate or degree in a non-medical STEM or business-related field, at an accredited four-year college or university for the entire upcoming academic year
- Have a minimum grade point average of 3.0 on 4.0 scale (or its equivalent)
- Be high school seniors or graduates, or current college undergraduates, residing and/or attending college in one of the following states: Alabama, California, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia
Family members of Pennsylvania American Water employees are eligible.
HOW TO APPLY
The American Water Inclusion and Diversity Scholarship Program is administered by Scholarship America. To learn more about the application process for this program, visit https://learnmore.scholarsapply.org/american-water/.
DEADLINE AND MORE INFORMATION
Applications will be accepted in late fall, starting around November, and run through early January of the following calendar year. Winners are annouced in April. Questions? Email: Pa.firstname.lastname@example.org
Pennsylvania American Water offers paid, full-time, 8-week summer internships in its operations, water quality and engineering departments. The internship program seeks to build a future talent pipeline, increase diversity, and bring new perspectives to the company while providing important real-life work experience to college students in local communities.
Internships are targeted toward college juniors and seniors pursuing STEAM-focused studies such as biology, chemistry, environmental science and engineering. Internship opportunities are posted annually in February through American Water’s career opportunities portal. Hiring managers evaluate and interview candidates and offer the internship opportunities to the selected candidates by April of each year. Interns are announced when the program begins in June.
Pennsylvania American Water conducts outreach throughout the year to educate students and adults alike about career paths and job opportunities in the water and wastewater industry. Career opportunity outreach places a special focus on diverse, underserved, and environmental justice communities and seeks to educate and attract a diverse field of students and adults to employment at Pennsylvania American Water.
The company also partners with schools, colleges, elected officials, government agencies and non-profits and statewide organizations to promote careers in the water industry through participation at school presentations, facility tours, career fairs, community events and more. To request a Pennsylvania American Water representative at an upcoming career fair or outreach event, please contact email@example.com.