CUSTOMER ASSISTANCE PROGRAMS
We want to help keep life flowing to our customers. One way we do this is through our customer assistance programs. If you’re experiencing financial hardship, please reach out to us. We may be able to assist.
For more than 30 years, Pennsylvania American Water has been assisting customers who qualify through its H2O Help to Others Program™.
WATER SERVICE ASSISTANCE
- Grants of up to $500 per household per year.
- A 40% to 80% discount on the monthly service fee and a 25% to 80% discount on the monthly volumetric charges, which saves the average residential customer using 3,212 gallons/month $19.93 to $55.39 every month. *See chart below.
- Water-saving devices and education. The water-saving kit includes a low-flow shower head, faucet aerators, toilet tank diverter and non-toxic leak-detecting dye tablets. Also included is an educational booklet that explains how to install the devices and provides helpful tips on how to save water inside and outside the home, so customers can take an active part in reducing their water bill through wise water use.
WASTEWATER SERVICE ASSISTANCE
- Grants of up to $500 per household per year.
- A 30% to 80% discount on the total wastewater charges, which saves the average residential customer using 3,212 gallons/month $42.00 to $88.18 every month. *See chart below.
We have also partnered with state and county agencies to help direct our customers to other utility assistance programs that are available, including:
Assistance for homeowners to prevent mortgage delinquencies, default, foreclosure, displacement, and utility disconnection
Rental and utility bill assistance for renters and landlords, administered by each county
Here are some of the other programs we offer to help keep your life flowing:
If you cannot pay your bill by the due date, please contact our customer service center immediately, BEFORE the due date, at 1-800-565-7292. We will work with you to determine payment plan options that may be available.
You may be eligible for a payment arrangement plan to extend the time to pay a past due balance. Payment arrangements vary based upon amount owed and ability to pay. We collect this information, including household income and number of people in your household, to determine your payment options.
If you are behind on your bill, you may be able to avoid shutoff or have your service restored if there is a medical emergency in your household. A medical emergency exists if you or a member of your household are seriously ill or have a medical condition that will be worsened if you do not have public utility service.
The medical certification will postpone the termination of water service for 30 days. The certification is designed to provide the customer with additional time to pay their past-due balance. The current bill must be paid while the medical certificate is in effect. The customer is still responsible for the past-due amount and will be given the opportunity to pay the balance in monthly installments. For more information, review the Medical Certificate Guidance, download the Standard Medical Certificate Form (may be used but is not required), or contact Customer Service at 1-800-565-7292.
Protection from Abuse and Other Court Orders
If you have a Protection from Abuse (PFA) order or an order issued by a Pennsylvania Court that identifies you or a household member as a victim/survivor of domestic violence, you have the following protections, regardless of your income:
- Pennsylvania American Water cannot shut off your water service during the winter without Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission (PaPUC) permission.
- Depending on your income, a special payment arrangement may be available.
- Service may not be terminated on a Friday.
- You may not be held responsible for a bill in someone else’s name.
- You may not be required to pay a security deposit. If you are required to pay a security deposit, you may be able to pay it over three payments.
- You will receive additional notice prior to termination.
More information about PFAs and domestic violence programs can be found here.
How You Can Help
Those who wish to contribute to the H2O Help to Others Program can do so by adding a donation to their monthly Pennsylvania American Water bill payment. Donations can be made as a one-time gift or as a monthly donation of $1, $3 or $5.
Donate Online at https://www.dollarenergy.org/donations/paamericanwater/. 100% of your donation will go to help a Pennsylvania American Water customer in need with their water or wastewater bill.
Donate by Mail by sending a donation directly to the Dollar Energy Fund at:
Dollar Energy Fund
P.O. Box 42329
Pittsburgh, PA 15203.
Please write “H2O Program Donation - PA” on the memo portion of your check.
You can be assured that 100 percent of your donation and our matching funds go directly to qualifying customers. Our company assumes all administrative costs for this program so that every penny you donate goes directly to this worthwhile cause.